If you live in an older home that hasn’t been renovated in the last 10 years, chances are your windows need to be replaced soon. And with rising energy costs grasping more and more at our budgets, it’s a wise choice. Some consider purchasing the new DIY windows to save on costs.
If you’re handy it looks like something you would be able to do or at least figure out. But here’s why that might not be the wisest decision. In fact, it may cost you more money in the long run.
Why Replacement Windows?
Modern technology has enabled window manufacturers to produce products that not only save energy but are safer and provide a tighter seal. So if your budget allows, installing replacement windows makes sense.
DIY Window Replacement
It looks so simple, doesn’t it? You remove the old window from the pre-existing hole and place the new window into position. But in reality, it can be much more involved.
For starters, to replace your windows the following basic things are necessary:
- Skill/ Experience – If you don’t have carpentry experience you may hit some rough patches. When you remove old windows there are often adjustments or repairs that need to be done before you can install the new window. If you don’t have the expertise to see what needs to be done you could inadvertently cause problems for yourself down the road.
- Tools/Equipment – Window installers have an array of specialized tools to ensure the precise placement of the new window. If a proper seal isn’t achieved, you will end up costing yourself more money on your energy bills.
- Window Quantity – Even if you manage to properly install a window, you are in for a long haul if your house has more than a few windows.
- Custom Windows – This installation can be tricky. Even the most experienced tradespeople can find custom windows daunting to install due to size or shape. And when the window has been custom-ordered, making a mistake can cost you a lot.
- Time – Installing several windows, even if you are an experienced carpenter or tradesperson, will take a lot of time. Consider what your valuable free time is worth as opposed to a crew getting the entire job done in one day.
- Warranty – You may lose warranty coverage on your window products by installing them yourself. Read the fine print.
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional Window Company
Most window replacement companies do everything for you. Once you’ve chosen your windows and they are brought to your home, the process proceeds quickly. An expert crew can have your new windows installed in the time it takes you to gather all the equipment and prep the area.
A successful window replacement includes a tight seal and a ground foreman to inspect the installation and ensure the work was done to code, prepping the area and making repairs, clean-up, and follow-up. You can have peace of mind knowing that your windows will function properly and optimally for decades to come.
Learn More About DIY vs. Professional Window Replacement
Northwest Exteriors has helped thousands of homeowners across the U.S. with window replacement. Our knowledgeable team is waiting to provide you with more details about window replacement. Contact us today for a free assessment and quote.